Football NewsJake Trotter says Jhajuan Seales is the fastest player at OSU. [ESPN]How important is having an elite kickoff guy, and does OSU have one? [PFB]Robert Allen on why Emmanuel Ogbah’s stock has dropped so much (I didn’t know it had). [PFB]Dabo got almost $1M to play for the title last year? [CBS]A look at how OSU’s first round picks have fared recently. Not great! [Tulsa World]I feel like you could copy/paste this and fill in the year. [CRFF]Mike Gundy on the importance of virtual reality in recruiting. [PFB]Baylor Scandal (?)This column on Baylor is sort of a fire take but it’s also interesting. How many victims until we deem this a culture? Seems like we’re there. [Star-Telegram]The police *probably* didn’t tell Baylor about the Shawn Oakman incident though. As a coach (and I’m talking about all coaches, Gundy included, isn’t it wise to go to your local PD and say, “tell me literally every time you pick up or question a football player”?) [Yahoo]Also … seems like a good time to bring this back up. [PFB]Finally, yikes!The irony of @Baylor’s now-deleted tweet is delicious in the best kind of way. pic.twitter.com/Db2Xcuqque— Mike Harris (@TheMikeHarris) April 13, 2016 Hoops NewsUnderwood loves to talk about playing “tough” defense, and clearly this is a situation where outstanding D could be not just welcome but mandatory. Oklahoma State didn’t even score a point per possession during Big 12 play in 2015-16. [ESPN – $]The greatest press conference in Thunder history. [NewsOK]Hey, you forgot to mention that we’re also recruiting this guy! [CBS]Baseball NewsOSU lost a tough one to Arkansas on Tuesday. [SEC]Baseball team throws down the running man. [PFB]Recruiting NewsThe areas that need to be addressed in 2017 recruiting. [PFB]No Alpha Diallo for Brad Underwood. Bummer. Could have been splashy. [PFB]More stuff I’m readingReal men reading real tweets to real women. Intense. [Big Lead]I have an idea on how to save the media once and for all. [Medium]In an age of privilege, not everyone is in the same boat. [NYT]If you’re looking for the comments section, it has moved to our forum, The Chamber. You can go there to comment and holler about these articles, specifically in these threads. You can register for a free account right here and will need one to comment.If you’re wondering why we decided to do this, we wrote about that here. Thank you and cheers!
Newcastle winger Matt Ritchie: Press never give us breakby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveNewcastle United winger Matt Ritchie has hit out at the negativity of the media.The Scot admits he grows tired over the comparisons with past teams.Ritchie told the Evening Chronicle: “People talk about Newcastle’s history in the Premier League and it’s in a negative aspect.”The Press the other week said we hadn’t won on a Monday for such a long time, then we won at Burnley and the next week it was we hadn’t won a midweek game!”I was like: ‘Give us a break’.”The players don’t look into that, we focus on the next game being the biggest game.”We recover and prepare for Liverpool.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
zoom International shipping association BIMCO has raised concerns over data on available fuel ahead of Marine Environment Protection Commitee (MEPC) decision on the 0.5% global sulphur cap implementation date.Namely, BIMCO said that the official International Maritime Organization (IMO) study which assessed the relevant availability of fuel oil “has failed to fully address the IMO’s terms of reference” in several critical areas.These areas include fuel oil quality, as a significant amount of the fuel oil that the IMO study concludes will be available for marine use is unsafe to store and use onboard ships, BIMCO said, as well as how an assessed shortage of sulphur removal capacity in refineries will be resolved so that capacity would be in place by 2020. Additionally, the shipping association noted that the study fails to model the disruption that an overnight introduction of the global cap, from December 31, 2019, would cause.As a result, BIMCO said that “it is not possible to determine that the global refining industry will have the capacity to produce enough marine fuel by 2020.”BIMCO, among others, have funded an independent supplementary study carried out by EnSys and Navigistics to assess the availability of marine fuel, which addresses all the above issues.This study concluded that it is unlikely that there will be sufficient low sulphur fuel available in 2020, while maintaining uninterrupted supply of fuel to all other sectors of the global economy.“It is clear that the IMO study is flawed, meaning it is not possible to determine from the study that there would be sufficient fuel available in 2020. On that basis, our opinion is that it would be irresponsible for IMO to make the decision to go for 2020 at MEPC 70 in October. There is clearly a need for additional analysis to ensure the supply chain for global trade is not seriously disrupted and developing nations are not hit hard by a lack of affordable energy,” Lars Robert Pedersen, Deputy Secretary General at BIMCO, said.
APTN National NewsThe commissioner of the Ontario Provincial Police has taken to YouTube to defend his department’s handling of the Idle No More movement in light of criticism thrown at it by the courts and media.Ontario’s top cop said it’s important to understand the overall strategy and that First Nations hold a lot of the power.“First Nations have the ability to paralyze this country by shutting down travel and trade routes,” said Chris Lewis in the video posted Tuesday morning. “It is a difficult situation no matter how we view or address it.”Lewis said there have been more than 60 demonstrations to date under the Idle No More banner and there hasn’t been a report of a single injury to a protestor, member of the public or officer.The OPP was criticized last week by Ontario Superior Court Justice David Brown after failing to respond to a court injunction in Tyendinaga where a small group of Mohawks shutdown the Via Rail line for seven hours.Justice Brown also slammed police in Sarnia for not acting on two injunctions he issued to have a blockade removed there. In both cases, the protestors removed the blockade and police refused to move in on them.In Tyendinaga, the OPP said it was “too dangerous” to respond to the injunction. The protestors said they made the right choice because if they had they would have stayed longer and if they would have tried to make arrests there would have been a fight.Lewis said arrests will be made after the protests if warranted. Police told Tyendinaga protestors they were under investigation for mischief.“These concepts and strategies developed from experience, hard work and common sense are difficult and complex to explain to the general public,” said Lewis.
MILWAUKEE — MillerCoors and Pabst Brewing Co. have settled a lawsuit in which the hipster’s brand of choice claimed the bigger brewer lied about its ability to continue brewing Pabst’s beers to put that company out of business.The settlement came Wednesday as jurors were in deliberations.Chicago-based MillerCoors said in a statement the settlement was “amicable” and that all “outstanding issues with Pabst” were resolved. Settlement details were not disclosed.MillerCoors has brewed and shipped most of Pabst’s beers since 1999. Pabst, which was founded in Milwaukee but now based in Los Angeles, sued in 2016 after MillerCoors announced it wouldn’t have the capacity to brew for Pabst when the contract expired in 2020.Pabst claimed that the contract allowed for two five-year extensions if Pabst wanted and that MillerCoors was worried Pabst would cut into its market share. MillerCoors called the claim a conspiracy theory.Ivan Moreno, The Associated Press
Islamabad: Saudi’s top diplomat met Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan on Thursday and delivered a “special message” from powerful Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman, amid global efforts to de-escalate Indo-Pak tensions, according to media reports. Saudi State Minister for Foreign Affairs Adel al-Jubeir called on Prime Minister Khan at the his office where the two discussed the ongoing Indo-Pak tensions and matters of regional and bilateral interest, Geo TV reported. Also Read – Imran Khan arrives in China, to meet Prez Xi Jinping Jubeir conveyed him a special message of the crown prince, it added. Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi, PM’s adviser on trade, secretary foreign affairs and other higher officials were present during the meeting. Ahead of his meeting with Khan, Jubeir met Qureshi and discussed Pakistan’s recent tensions with India, regional security and bilateral relations. The Saudi diplomat assured Qureshi of his country’s support towards solving the issues with India in a peaceful manner. Also Read – US blacklists 28 Chinese entities over abuses in Xinjiang According to Pakistan Foreign Office, Jubeir will also meet Army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa. Jubeir was earlier supposed to visit Pakistan on March 1 but it was delayed due to heightened tensions between Islamabad and New Delhi. Tensions between India and Pakistan flared up after a suicide bomber of Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammed killed 40 Central Reserve Police Force personnel in Kashmir’s Pulwama district on February 14. India launched a counter-terror operation in Pakistan’s Balakot on February 26. The next day, Pakistan Air Force retaliated and downed a MiG-21 and captured its pilot Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman, who was handed over to India on March 1. Countries like the US, the UK, China, Saudi Arabia and the UAE were involved in easing tensions between India and Pakistan. While announcing the Saudi minister’s visit, Foreign Minister Qureshi Wednesday said that the Saudi envoy is coming to Pakistan with a “special message” from Crown Prince Mohammad. Jubeir’s visit comes after the crown prince stand alone visits to Pakistan and India soon after the Pulwama terror attack.
Mental disorders are more common in people who live alone, regardless of their age and sex, according to a study. Researchers noted that the number of people living alone has increased in recent years due to population ageing, decreasing marriage rates and lowering fertility. Previous studies have investigated the link between living alone and mental disorders but have generally been conducted in elderly populations and are not generalisable to younger adults. Also Read – An income drop can harm brainThe latest study used data on 20,500 individuals aged 16-64 living in England who participated in the 1993, 2000, or 2007 National Psychiatric Morbidity Surveys. “Living alone is positively associated with common mental disorders in the general population in England,” Louis Jacob from University of Versailles Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines said in a statement. Whether a person had a common mental disorder (CMD) was assessed using the Clinical Interview Schedule-Revised (CIS-R), a questionnaire focusing on neurotic symptoms during the previous week. Also Read – Shallu Jindal honoured with Mahatma AwardIn addition to the number of people living in a household, data was available on factors including weight and height, alcohol dependence, drug use, social support, and loneliness. The prevalence of people living alone in 1993, 2000, and 2007 was 8.8 per cent, 9.8 per cent, and 10.7 per cent. In all years, all ages, and both men and women, there was a positive association between living alone and CMD, researchers said. In different subgroups of people, living alone increased a person’s risk for CMD by 1.39 to 2.43 times. Overall, loneliness explained 84 per cent of the living alone-CMD association, they said. The researchers suggest that interventions which tackle loneliness might also aid the mental wellbeing of individuals living alone. Globally, the lifetime prevalence of CMDs is around 30 per cent. CMDs have a major impact on quality of life, physical illness and mortality. In the past decades, there has been a growing interest in the association between living alone and CMDs, researchers said. This is partly driven by the fact that in many settings, the proportion of individuals living alone is increasing due to factors such as population ageing, lowering fertility, decreasing marriage rates, and increasing divorce rates.
Matchups that Ohio basketball fans could only dream of became a reality on the Ohio State campus Saturday. It was an all-Buckeye State theme during the Ohio Homecoming Battle for Ohio basketball game at St. John Arena, which saw Team Columbus eek out a 94-91 victory against Team Cleveland. The game saw former OSU teammates David Lighty and Jon Diebler guarding each other on the perimeter as well as university alumnus and Philadelphia 76er Evan Turner run the court with the Cleveland Cavaliers’ Tristan Thompson. Thompson was dominant in the contest, leading all scorers in the game with a double-double that included 27 points on 11-of-16 shooting and 10 rebounds for Team Cleveland. Team Columbus countered with a team-high 18 points from Ron Lewis and 17 points from Turner. A coaching staff that included former No. 1-overall NBA Draft pick Greg Oden, former OSU player Ron Stokes and Columbus Mayor Michael Coleman saw five players hit double digits on the way to the victory for the Columbus squad. Afterward, Turner called the contest a great game and a great opportunity to lock horns with former teammates and current NBA foes. Turner, who had fourth-quarter shots blocked by former OSU teammate Dallas Lauderdale and came up smiling after each rejection, called the game “fun.” “It’s great for the city,” Turner said. “Hopefully we keep doing this game every single year.” The high-paced celebrity All-Star game saw Team Cleveland control the opening eight minutes of play, but only until J.J. Sullinger, older brother of recently-drafted OSU product Jared Sullinger, struck for Team Columbus. J.J. Sullinger, sporting a thicker build than during his playing days at OSU during the 2004-2006 seasons, stuck a 3-pointer home to give Columbus the lead, 22-21, late in the first quarter. Columbus pulled ahead by half behind Turner’s 14 first-half points. Diebler, in a display familiar to OSU fans, connected on 2-of-3 3-pointers while contributing six points to the Team Columbus effort. Diebler’s day from behind the arc was just getting started. During halftime, Diebler dominated the 3-point shooting contest by scoring 5-of-5 shots on his first rack of balls before doing the same on his final rack to win the competition. Diebler defeated Dru Joyce, a high school teammate of the Miami Heat’s Lebron James at St. Vincent-St. Mary’s and player at Akron from 2003-2007. The 3-pointers for Diebler were his first in a competitive game at St. John Arena since a December 2010 win against South Carolina. Of the game and his return to St. John Arena, Diebler, a member of the winning Team Columbus side, said that he too enjoyed himself. “We were talking before the game – it was pretty awesome to get everyone together,” he said. “It was great to be back. I love this gym.” Scoring slowed in the second half – the two squads combined for 32 points in the fourth quarter – but Team Columbus forced a turnover in the closing seconds as it defended a 93-91 lead and held on for the win. Former OSU forward Dallas Lauderdale, a member of the losing Team Cleveland side, agreed with the rest, saying that the game was a memorable one. “I thought it was a great time. Playing against former teammates – it was a lot of fun,” Lauderdale said. Lauderdale, who is returning from playing professionally in Poland and will compete with the NBA’s Golden State Warriors in summer league play, added that Saturday’s game was reminiscent of practice sessions during his time at OSU. “It wasn’t weird going against (former teammates) at all,” he said. “We did it every day at the Schottenstein Center, so to be able to go out there and talk a little trash, it was fun.” There was statewide appeal for the Saturday event with cities and towns from around Ohio represented on the two teams’ respective rosters. In addition to J.J. Sullinger, Turner and Diebler, Team Columbus featured former OSU letter winners Brian Brown (1999-2002), Terence Dials(2002-2006) and George Reese (1999-2000) as well as Scoonie Penn and Columbus natives Antonio Daniels and Samaki Walker. Team Cleveland featured former Buckeyes Lighty (2007-2011), Lauderdale (2008-2011), Tony Stockman (2004-2005) and Damon Stringer (1995-1998; Cleveland State 1998-2000) in addition to Thompson, Keith McLeod (Bowling Green, 1999-2002) and Ryan Patton (Youngstown State 1999-2002).
VfB Stuttgart defender Benjamin Pavard has refuted claims that he has agreed on a deal to join Bayern Munich.Pavard was a World Cup winner with France in the summer. He seems set to remain with Stuttgart, insisting he is happy at the Bundesliga club.Pavard has been linked with several Premier League clubs like Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham, but he has now rubbished reports of his agreed deal to join Bayern.Match Preview: RB Leipzig vs Bayern Munich Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 RB Leipzig will have the chance to prove their title-winning capabilities when they host Bayern Munich today at 18:30 (CET).“I did not sign anything at all (with Bayern). You are the journalists who say that I signed (for Bayern),” Pavard told L’Equipe, via Sky Sports.“I’m in Stuttgart, I’m fine there. My career plan was to stay one more season in Germany. I am in a very big German club, with fantastic fans. This club is a family, that’s what I need and that’s what I like about this club. I’m very good there.“It’s true that the World Cup came faster than expected, nobody expected it, not even me at the very beginning.”
Both teams will face off tonight in Matchday 8 of the 2018-2019 Spanish La Liga tournament but Abelardo Fernandez believes his team can do wellAlaves will host Real Madrid tonight in what many have said it could be the return of goals for Los Merengues.The Spanish La Liga team hasn’t scored in the last three matches, including two Spanish tournament games.But for Alaves boss Abelardo Fernandez, Los Blancos are not invincible.“They can’t play with more intensity than us,” the coach said as quoted by Football España.Quiz: How much do you know about David Villa? Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Time to test your knowledge about Spanish legendary forward David Villa.“The beauty of being in the Primera is being able to enjoy matches like these, but it’s not a special game, it’s one more. We’ll prepare for this one like any other.”“Madrid didn’t play poorly in Moscow. It’s true that they’ve gone three games without scoring a goal, but they’re the third highest scorers in the League,” he added.“They need a period of adaptation under Julen Lopetegui, although they’ve improved in many areas, such as when applying pressure after losing the ball.”“They remain one of the best teams in the world. They’ll need to have a bad day and us a perfect day to be able to win,” he commented.“Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Atletico Madrid are above everyone else and it’ll be very difficult to take points off them when they find their best form.”