Jury Selection Begins in NCPD Conspiracy Case

ihardafuq

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York William Flanagan surrendered to Nassau County prosecutors in March.Jury selection started Thursday in the trial of a former high-ranking Nassau County police official accused of conspiring to cover up a school burglary as a favor to a police benefactor.Mark Cohen, the Suffolk County judge presiding over the case against ex-second deputy commissioner William Flanagan, said the trial is expected to conclude in mid-February, barring any setbacks.Flanagan and two other former high-ranking police officials, deputy chief of patrol John Hunter and Alan Sharpe, deputy commander of the Seventh Precinct, have denied accusations of scuttling an investigation into a Merrick man who stole more than $10,000 worth of electronics from Bellmore’s John F. Kennedy High School in 2009.Zachary Parker, the son of a prominent police benefactor, last year admitted to the burglary, violated his probation and was sentenced to 1 to 3 years in prison. Parker and his father have not been charged in connection with the alleged cover up.In the Flanagan case, nearly 100 prospective jurors—many forced to stand—packed the Nassau County courtroom and were asked if health, business, vacation obligations, language difficulties or other responsibilities would preclude them from serving.Students and those caring for children or the elderly were released with little or no contest. But those claiming business obligations were met with more scrutiny by the judge, prosecutors and defense counsel.The judge went over the case with possible jurors and advised them not to speculate why Sharpe, Hunter and Flangan are scheduled to be tried separately. The jury selection process is expected to continue into next week.Before the jurors were ushered in, Cohen discussed procedural issues in the upcoming trial, including an amendment to the original indictment and acknowledging that he received the prosecutors’ witness list.Cohen was appointed in March after two previous Nassau judges recused themselves. One of the two, Judge John Kase, announced this week his retirement and return to the criminal defense law firm he founded.Flangan, Sharpe and Hunter were indicted following a Press expose into benefits given to those who have donated money to a Nassau police nonprofit foundation that is building a new police academy at Nassau Community College.last_img read more

Will Trespassers be prosecuted?

chlmkahbr

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Chief Justice Bersamin denies ‘verdict’ on Marcos’ poll protest

dzhszbfeq

first_imgMarcos cited alleged pre-shading ofballots, massive vote buying, script change in the transparency server thatsupposedly altered the results, pre-loaded secure digital cards, misreading ofballots, malfunctioning vote counting machines, and an “abnormally high”unaccounted votes/undervotes for the vice presidential position./PN “You ask the columnist what her or hisbasis. I cannot confirm or deny that because he must know more than I do.That’s the bad part about it. There is no definite voting yet or anything thathappened in that particular case,” Bersamin said. Bersamin said it was not true that thehigh court justices have voted 8-6 in favor of Marcos, as reported in abroadsheet on Thursday. Associate Justice Alfredo BenjaminCaguioa submitted his report on the revision and recount of ballots on thethree pilot provinces Iloilo, Camarines Sur and Negros Oriental chosen byMarcos. Supreme Court chief justice Lucas Bersamin says he left the judiciary with “no regrets” after reaching his mandatory retirement age on Friday. ABS-CBN NEWS MANILA – Supreme Court Chief JusticeLucas Bersamin denied a verdict has been reached about the electoral protestFerdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. filed against Vice President Leni Robredo.    center_img Bersamin, meanwhile, said even withCaguioa’s report, the tribunal is not obliged to approve it. Marcos lost the vice presidential raceto Robredo by only 263,473 votes in the final and official tally of theCommission on Elections. He garnered 14,155,344 votes while Robredo got a totalof 14,418,817 votes.  In his protest, the former senatorquestioned the election results in 39,221 clustered precincts in around 25provinces and five cities all over the country involving around 9-millionvotes. “When a report is issued, it does notnecessarily mean that we have to consider that report, approve it, adopt itetc… It’s not automatic, otherwise we will not be a deliberative body, acollegial body,” Bersamin added.last_img read more