Victim ‘Emily Doe’ in viral Brock Turner sexual assault case comes forward


first_imgThe woman who was sexually assaulted by Brock Turner has come forward with her real identity and the release of a new memoir.For years, Chanel Miller was known in legal proceedings as “Emily Doe,” the woman assaulted while unconscious by the Stanford swimmer outside an on-campus fraternity house.“In newspapers, my name was ‘unconscious, intoxicated woman.’ Ten syllables and nothing more than that,” she told “60 Minutes” in an episode airing Sunday, Sept. 22.In 2015, Turner, then 20, was seen by two graduate students sexually assaulting the then 22-year-old Miller behind a dumpster on campus.Turner then tried to run away, but the two students detained him and called the police.Turner later admitted to having sexual contact with Miller but said it had been consensual.In 2016, a jury found Turner guilty on three charges, including assault with intent to commit rape and sexually penetrating an unconscious person with a foreign object.Prosecutors initially asked that Turner be sentenced to six years in jail.But the Judge presiding over the case, Judge Aaron Persky, sentenced him to six months in county jail.In his ruling, the Judge said that the extended sentence would have “severe impact” on Turner.Furthermore, he did not believe Turner would be “a danger to others.”Turner served only three months of this sentence before his release.The case went viral following “Emily Doe’s” powerful victims impact statement, and gained more attention after the short sentence imposed by Judge Persky.In this clip, Miller reads her statement.The sentence sparked outrage nationwide with many arguing Turner’s privilege as a young white man played a role in the decision.Miller, too, was outraged by Persky’s sentence, which she referred to publicly as “gentle.”Judge Persky was recalled by voters in 2018, becoming the first judge in California to be recalled in since 1932.The book written by Miller titled “Know My Name” is scheduled for release on Sept. 24.last_img read more

Bayern Munich 0-2 Borussia Monchengladbach: Raffael double stuns champions


first_imgThe Bavarians suffered a shock defeat at the Allianz Arena as the Brazilian scored twice to stun Pep Guardiola’s side on Sunday.Bayern Munich lost Arjen Robben to injury as two goals from Raffael condemned them to a 2-0 defeat at home to Borussia Monchengladbach.Despite dominating throughout, Bayern lacked fluency on Sunday after their top scorer’s withdrawal, and two goals from Brazilian striker handed them a first loss at the Allianz Arena since April 2014. Robben caught the eye during his time on the pitch, before a collision with Gladbach right-back Tony Jantschke resulted in him hobbling off just 24 minutes in to his comeback from a minor back problem.And within a few minutes, Gladbach were ahead, as Manuel Neuer failed to keep out Raffael’s effort.The visitors remained solid at the back after the break and they almost extended their lead when Andre Hahn struck the right-hand post 20 minutes from time. Bayern failed to heed that warning, however, and Gladbach made sure of a famous win 13 minutes from time, Raffael netting again as Bayern suffered only their second defeat at the Allianz Arena in 41 Bundesliga matches.The champions began the contest full of urgency, piling pressure on Gladbach from the start, with Robben looking particularly lively.The Dutch star was involved in the game’s first real opportunity in the seventh minute, heading Juan Bernat’s left-wing delivery straight at Yann Sommer.Despite the home side’s dominance, Gladbach’s numbers at the back proved difficult to break down, while they also contained Robert Lewandowski to good effect.However, the blow of seeing Robben forced off with an apparent hip injury was a pivotal one for Bayern, with Thomas Muller taking his place. Within six minutes, they were trailing, as Raffael met Patrick Herrmann’s precise cut-back with a low drive from 18 yards which Neuer inexplicably allowed to squirm over the goalline.Having taken the lead, the visitors became even more compact at the back and, besides a Muller header that was played across goal and cleared by Martin Stranzl in the 42nd minute, Bayern crafted little before the break.The second half followed a similar pattern, as Gladbach absorbed Bayern’s pressure brilliantly, preventing Pep Guardiola’s men from creating a single opportunity in the 15 minutes that followed the interval.Bayern’s first chance of the second period arrived in the 63rd minute, as Muller met Rafinha’s cross and sent a volley at Sommer.Despite sitting back, Gladbach still looked a threat on the break and they almost scored a second in the 70th minute, but Hahn could only hit the post as he raced past Holger Badstuber. They were not to be denied next time, though, as Christoph Kramer raided up the right flank and crossed into the centre, where Raffael was waiting to squeeze a first-time effort under Neuer, moving Lucien Favre’s men up to third.–last_img read more