Louis van Gaal 1 Louis van Gaal has leapt to the defence of Ed Woodward, insisting he has complete confidence in the abilities of Manchester United’s executive vice-chairman.Woodward has come under-fire from fans over United’s work in the transfer market in the wake of the club’s failure to sign Pedro ahead of Premier League rivals Chelsea.But Van Gaal says Woodward deserves respect for the job he is doing at Old Trafford and suggested that Pedro joined Chelsea only AFTER United had decided not to pay his £21m release clause.“I think when we want Pedro it was not any problem because there was a clause in his contract. It was the easiest transfer. I have said before what we are doing is guiding a process and in that process we make decisions,” said the Dutchman.“I have the idea you want to separate Ed Woodward with me. Never. Never. Because every day I am updated by him and I trust him.“I don’t think they (the critics) have to doubt Ed Woodward because he has proven already for many, many years he is the right person on the right spot.”Van Gaal appeared to talk up United’s interest in Pedro last week, when he said the World Cup winner fitted the profile he was looking for, and Woodward reportedly flew into Barcelona on Monday for talks with the Spanish club over a deal for the forward.Pedro subsquently joined Chelsea on Thursday after the Premier League champions made their move and that was seen as a big blow to United’s transfer window plans.Van Gaal was in no mood to field questions about the 28-year-old, but hinted that he was the one who pulled the plug on the club’s pursuit of the player.“I cannot answer these questions,” Van Gaal said in a spiky press conference ahead of Newcastle’s visit to Old Trafford on Saturday.“When you ask me, ‘Is Pedro fitting the profile?’, I cannot lie, I said ‘Yes’. But I do not say that I’m interested in the player. That is the difference. But you say I’m interested. No, I answered the question. It’s different.“What is written in the newspapers is not true, you cannot know it. Only the players know it and the clubs know it.”
Jose Mourinho was fined and threatened with a one-match stadium ban because his comments may have suggested implications of bias, talkSPORT has been told.Darren Bailey, the FA’s director of football governance and regulation spoke to Drivetime to clarify the rules regarding the commenting on match officials after a game.The Chelsea manager has appealed the decision to fine him and consequently Bailey was unable to speak on the situation as the case is active.However, he did clarify the position of the FA and said they are not trying to stifle a manager’s freedom of expression.“We get the passion, we get the emotion, we get that managers want to blow off some steam – we’re not for blocking their comment,” he said.“What we do is lay some parameters around it so people can understand what is expected of them.“If in a post-match interview, or indeed any stage, you want to make a comment on the performance of a match official, we don’t have a problem with that.“Where we do have a problem is when people start to stray into implications of bias, if they start to attack their integrity or if they are particularly personally offending.“English football needs to be seen to be clean and straight. If there are any suggestions that anyone involved in the game has problems with their integrity or are making decisions, for the wrong reasons then we’ve got a problem.“All we are trying to do is protect the wider fabric of the game and be clear that we are not stopping reasonable comment of a performance.”
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre So whereas Davis had the dot-com boom, Schwarzenegger had the real-estate bubble. Like Gray, Arnold signed on to spending patterns that presupposed permanent prosperity – a foolish and foreseeable error, especially last summer, when the housing market was already in trouble. Now, only four months after assuring us that the budget was balanced and had a $4 billion reserve, state number-crunchers predict a $10 billion shortfall over the next two years. The state’s financial situation is dark – Gray, actually. IN hindsight, it’s only fitting that Arnold Schwarzenegger swept into office by recalling Gray Davis. Because the way things are going these days, we find ourselves recalling Davis all the time. Davis, you might, er, recall, was given the boot for allowing California to run up a massive budget deficit. Under his watch, Sacramento locked itself into outrageous spending patterns based on the assumption that the dot-com boom would last forever. It didn’t, Gray got dumped, and along came Arnold, who has proved to be little more than a Davis sequel. Although Schwarzenegger proposed strong spending restraints in 2005, they were crushed at the polls thanks to heavy opposition from the labor unions and other special interests. At that point, Arnold seemed to lose all interest in fiscal responsibility.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsHe has practiced law in Los Angeles since 1979 and holds graduate and post-graduate degrees from the London School of Economics and UC Berkeley, where he was a visiting scholar. He also serves on the Santa Monica Bay Restoration Commission and has served on the Environmental Task Force for Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. The Department of Water and Power is the country’s largest public utility, with 8,375 employees and a service area of 465 square miles. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The nomination of H. David Nahai to lead the Department of Water and Power will be considered today by members of the Los Angeles City Council’s Energy and Environment Committee. Two months ago, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa nominated Nahai to succeed Ron Deaton, who announced his retirement Oct. 26. The Water and Power Commission voted last month to set Nahai’s annual salary at $310,000 — $34,000 less than Deaton’s salary. Nahai resigned from that commission in early October. Nahai, 53, was president of Nahai Law Corp., a Century City law firm specializing in real estate, transactional matters and litigation. He divested himself of his interest in the firm Oct. 31.
THE Chief Executive of the company which owns the Donegal Democrat is to stand down from his position in March 2012, the company has announced.John Fry is boss of newspaper publisher Johnston Press which has endured a worse start to 2011 than expected with Irish revenues dipping 19 per cent.The group, whose titles also include the Derry Journal and Yorkshire Post said total advertising for the first nine weeks of 2011 for its dozens of British and Irish titles fell 11.4 per cent compared with a drop of 6.4 per cent for the whole of 2010. In Ireland, revenues fell to Stg£11 million from Stg£13.6 million a year earlier.“We also saw an improvement in the rate of decline in the Republic of Ireland but this is a result of the comparatives in 2009 being lower rather than any improvement in the economic conditions in that market,” the group said in a statement.The weak trading, together with chief executive John Fry’s decision to stand down by March 2012 and a forecast that the economic outlook for 2011 would remain uncertain, sent Johnston shares down more than 20 per cent.Johnston shares were down 21 per cent to just 9.7 pence yesterday, valuing the company at around £62 million. Reuters reported analysts at brokerage Numis who said they had placed their target price for Johnston shares and their recommendation on the stock under review. “Given the lower base, (the) weak start to 2011 and mindful of inflationary cost pressure in newsprint we are downgrading our full-year 2011 pretax profit (forecast) from £40 million to £30 million,” they said in a note.The negative factors overshadowed the fact the group posted its first underlying operating profit increase since 2004, due to cost cuts and stronger digital advertising revenue, the news agency reported.Operating profit rose 3.9 per cent to £72 million, after the group cut total operating costs by £30.1 million, on revenue down 6 per cent to £398 million.“The board’s short-term priority remains debt reduction,” it said. “No final dividend is proposed.”The group said it would start looking for a new chief executive after Mr Fry said he would step down from his role by March 2012. further reading here:http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2011/mar/09/johnston-press-downturn#start-of-commentsDONEGAL DEMOCRAT CHIEF EXECUTIVE TO STAND DOWN was last modified: March 10th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
A group of businesses says it will stop paying rates if there is not a rates reduction.The Donegal Business Rates Reduction Campaign says it needs a reduction in rates if businesses are to survive.Spokesman Charlie Ferry says they have received massive support for their campaign with more than 600 signatures who pay rates signing up to their campaign. The campaign is being backed by TD Charlie McConalogue.Donegal County Council is due to hold its budgetary meeting this Wednesday with County Manager Seamus Neely suggesting a rates freeze.But many businesses say that is not enough and a reduction will allow many businesses some breathing space to survive tough economic conditions.The following is a letter from Charlie Ferry outlining the situation for many businesses across the county which was sent to county councillors. Donegal Business Rates Reduction CampaignMain Street,Ballybofey,Co. Donegal10.12.2013. Dear Sir,I am writing to you in my capacity as Chairman of the Donegal Business Rates Reduction Campaign to actively seek your support with our campaign to seek a substantial decrease in commercial rates in Donegal for 2014.As a business network we have now met on several occasions since early June with representations from the four corners of the County, culminating in us meeting the county manager and two of his colleagues in Lifford on the 28th of November. Mr Neely welcomed the interaction and took on board the widespread concerns that we conveyed to him on behalf of the businesses right across Donegal. He is reverting back to us when he gets concrete details of his local government figures for the forthcoming year.We fully realise that you our locally elected councillor hold the key to a lot of the decisions that will be made at the budget meeting in Lifford on December 18th so we are asking that you and your party to come out and support us the business community in advance of this meeting. To date we are very disappointed by the level of support we have received from you our local councillors and ask that you take the time to read the attached document which we presented to Mr Neely on the day of our meeting.. Ultimately we are all business people and fully realise that the books have to be balanced in Lifford but looking at some of the stats around our County we are being dealt an unfair hand which if it continues will undoubtedly force more businesses to shut.To date we have over 600 signatures on our County wide petition to drive rates down and at our most recent meeting we passed unanimously a motion to forgo all rate payments across the County for 2014.I trust you will take our concerns on board and revert back to us with your support as at this stage I genuinely believe that the County councillors don’t fully realise the extent of the concerns the 3000 rate payers face on a day to day basis in the County.I look forward to your responseRegards_____________Charlie Ferry.DONEGAL BUSINESSES THREATEN TO BOYCOTT PAYING RATES was last modified: December 16th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Andy Gray is urging Aston Villa to start their rebuilding job NOW by replacing Remi Garde.Rock-bottom of the Premier League, the Midlands club are sitting 12 points adrift of safety with just seven games to play.Gray insists there is zero chance of them pulling off a great escape, and says the Villa board need to act decisively and appoint a manager to prepare for the Championship.The former Holte End favourite, speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, said: “The Villa board now have got to make a massive decision.“It’s nothing against Remi but if I was sitting in there, I would have to say, ‘listen, we need to start planning for next year now’.“They’re going down. They need to get someone in to have a look at this group of players, sift through it, decide who to keep and who they don’t and then start in August when the Championship starts right on the front foot.“They must not appoint a manager two weeks before the start of the season and play catch-up all season. It has got to start now for Villa.”
18 18 18 13. IVICA OLIC LOOKS LIKE DANIEL CRAIG 18 3. KARIM BENZEMA LOOKS LIKE SHIA LABEOUF 18 18 6. STEVEN GERRARD LOOKS LIKE ROBIN THICKE 12. NEYMAR LOOKS LIKE ZAYN MALIK 7. EDEN HAZARD LOOKS LIKE NICK JONAS 2. DAVID ALABA LOOKS LIKE TYLER, THE CREATOR 18 18 18 18 18 18 16. ROBIN VAN PERSIE LOOKS LIKE BEN AFFLECK 11. LUKA MODRIC LOOKS LIKE DAVID GUETTA 18 1. FERNANDO TORRES LOOKS LIKE SACHA BARON COHEN AS BRUNO – CLICK THE ARROW ABOVE, RIGHT TO SEE MORE FOOTBALLER LOOKALIKES 4. FERNANDO LOOKS LIKE BARACK OBAMA 8. CHRIS KAMARA LOOKS LIKE LIONEL RICHIE 18 15. LUIS SUAREZ LOOKS LIKE ANNE HATHAWAY 10. LIONEL MESSI LOOKS LIKE LIAM NEESON 18 5. BRAD FRIEDEL LOOKS LIKE BRUCE WILLIS 18 It’s a silly debate we’ve all had with our mates from time to time.Whether we’ve just spotted a 65-year-old chubby bloke in the street who is “the spitting image” of Wayne Rooney, or the latest useless bloke to walk onto the stage of a TV talent show who looks “just like” Cristiano Ronaldo, there’s no doubt football lookalikes will always be a talking point and source of comedy.So here is our compiled list of 18 football players who we think look like celebrities and feel free to leave your own suggestions in the comments.This list first appeared on the talkSPORT YouTube channel where there are loads of brilliant videos available to watch for free. 17. THOMAS VERMAELEN LOOKS LIKE JUDE LAW 9. HARRY KANE LOOKS LIKE RYAN GOSLING 18 14. ARJEN ROBBEN LOOKS LIKE PATRICK STEWART 18 18. XABI ALONSO LOOKS LIKE JASON BATEMAN
1 Kalidou Koulibaly in action for Napoli Arsenal and Chelsea have been told to forget about signing Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly.The centre-back shone in Serie A last season and a number of clubs would love to snap him up this summer.Both Arsenal and Chelsea are tracking the 24-year-old and it was thought he could be on the move if someone forked out over £23m.But, according to Il Mattino, Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has told interested clubs that Koulibaly is not for sale.The Senegal international still has three years to run on his contract in Naples and the club believe there is no need to sell.