first_imgDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUEREPORTSSUNDAY Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionLifford Celtic 1 Glenea United 0This was a hard fought battle between two teams with title aspirations. The only goal of the game came late in the second half. Paddy Sumner of Lifford Celtic got the important strike. This was a very entertaining game but Glenea failed to put the ball pass Lifford’s keeper Paul Given.Best for Glenea United: Darren Mc Geever, Paddy Boyle & Liam Sweeney. Best for Lifford Celtic: Johnny Mahon & Marcus McDonald.Cranford United 1 St. Catherines 1Cranford opened their first season back in the Premier Division with a home drawagainst St Catherine’s. After a well contested game both sides were probably happy with a point to get their respective seasons off the mark. Cranford had a couple of half chances in the first half when Kyle Black and Marty McBride went close and the lively Conor O’ Rourke was unlucky for the Killybegs men. The second half was more of same with the game flowing from end to end. On 70 minutes Conor O’ Rourke finally broke the deadlock with a header from closerange. Cranford responded well and Philip Buchanan crossed for Kyle Black to tap home at the back post to make it one each. There were no real clear cut chances in the last ten minutes as the game petered out. Conor O’ Rourke was best for the fishermen with Philip Buchanan and Arthur Lynch the pick of the home side. Referee: Ronan Floyd.Milford United 5 Kilmacrennan Celtic 3Milford won this local derby with a good solid performance in a game that they dominated for long periods. Milford scored from a corner after 15 minutes when Johnny Gallagher deflected the ball into his own net. Darren McLaughlin then scored 5 minutes later from 18 yards. Before half time it was two one as Paul Shields deflected the ball in to his own net. It took Milford one minute to score in the second half with PJ Hagan finishing well from a Ciaran Mc Ginley through ball. Milford began to dominate scoring twice through Joey Cullen and Darren McLaughlin to lead by five goals to one. Kilmacrennan scored twice to start a mini revival. The first a 25 yard cracker from Kevin McMenamin and then Michael McLaughlin scored from the penalty spot. Milford held out for a well deserved three points. Good team performance by Milford. Referee: Marty Mc Garrigle.Donegal Town 3 Gweedore Celtic 3 Donegal Town got life in the Premier Division underway with a 3-3 draw against Gweedore Celtic. Last season’s Division One winners went behind on twenty minutes when a Chris Porter free was deflected home of a Donegal defender. Donegal then grew into the game and got a well deserved equaliser when Declan Brown scored. Gweedore found themselves back in front right on half time when Eamonn Mc Gee scored after some poor Donegal defending. After the restart Donegal got right back in it as a perfectly slid through ball from Paul Gerard Duncan split the Gweedore defence and debutant Hugh Mc Partland dispatched a shot to the corner of the net. Colin Ferry put the Gweedore men back in front with twenty minutes remaining.. Donegal attacked in numbers in search of an equaliser and forced several corners. The equaliser came when Donegal’s talisman JP Byrne rose highest at the back post to head home a Ciaran O’Reilly corner. Best for Donegal Town were Paul Gerard Duncan and Hugh Mc Partland. Solid team performance from Gweedore Celtic.Curragh Athletic 1 Rathmullan Celtic 2Played in glorious weather conditions on a perfect surface it was Curragh Athletic who made the early breakthrough with a fine goal. Calvin Bradley found Dan O’ Brien who went past his marker and found John Mc Laughlin in space just inside the box and he made no mistake, drilling the ball home on nine minutes. Rathmullan came more into the game and were rewarded for their efforts on twenty two minutes when Eamon Sheridan fired home a penalty after he was adjudged to have been fouled. The away side then went in front on thirty nine minutes when a long throw-in seemed to evade everyone and ended up in the net. Calvin Bradley and Eamon Sheridan then had good attempts on goal as the first half ended. Curragh started the second half with John Mc Laughlin missing a golden opportunity on forty nine minutes after Calvin Bradley saw his shot go just wide. Mc Laughlin then had another good opportunity however as the half wore on it become evident that those missed chances could cost Curragh dearly and so they did. It got worse for Curragh on seventy minutes when Calvin Bradley saw red and although Curragh did try to come back Rathmullan saw out the match aided by the extra man. Rathmullan were best served by the Sheridan Brothers and Patrick Patton while Curragh had Garth Gallagher and the hard working O’ Brien and Mc Laughlin always looking sharp. Referee: Mick LaganWatson Hire Division OneBonagee United 1 Cappry Rovers 2Bonagee should have taken the lead on ten minutes when they were awarded a penalty after Kevin Doran was brought down in the box. Unfortunately Oran Grant sent the spot kick over the bar. On twelve minutes Cappry’s Benny Mc Laughlin saw his shot from twelve yards well saved by Carr in the home goal. Bonagee took the lead on twenty minutes after good work down the left by Marcus Oliver. He crossed to Lee Mc Monagle who hammered home from ten yards. Carr in the home goal had two good saves from Alan Patton and Brian Lafferty on thirty and thirty five minutes. Brendan O’ Meara in the Cappry goal made a super save from Darren Ashmore from the edge of the box on forty three minutes. Cappry levelled the game on the hour when Benny Mc Laughlin fired home from ten yards. Bonagee came close on seventy minutes when a cross from the right by Lee Mc Monagle found Carl Doogan and his header was pushed over the bar O’ Meara. Cappry took the lead on eighty minutes. A Bonagee defender’s attempted clearance struck Alan Patton and ended up in the back of the Bonagee net. Team efforts from both sides. Referee: Paddy Melaugh.Eany Celtic 0 Drumoghill F.C. 7Drumoghill had an easy opening to the new League season against an understrength Eany Celtic. They by three at half time with Liam O’ Donnell getting a hat-trick . O’ Donnell was on the mark again early in the second half. Shea Mc Daid, Michael Lynch and Kevin Kelly completed the scoring for the men from “The Moss”.Dunkineely Celtic 2 Castlefin Celtic 4Castlefin will be very happy to have left Darney Park with all three points after coming from two goals behind to record a fine victory. Dunkineely started very brightly and took the lead after only three minutes when a Peter Alvey cross was headed by Adrian Ward into the path of Cian Kennedy who scored from close range. Castlefin kept playing their passing game and came close on seven minutes when a JP Malley shot was well saved by John Mc Mullin. Dunkineely doubled their lead on 22 minutes when a cross from Adrian Nesbitt was fumbled by the Castlefin keeper and Cian Kennedy was on hand to tap home. Castlefin kept working hard and got a goal back on the half hour mark when a through ball from Ronan Tourish was lobbed over the keeper by JP Mailey.Castlefin started the second half at a high tempo and had a corner cleared off the line on 55 minutes. They equalised on 67 minutes with a carbon copy of their first goal. Ronan Tourish again the provider and Malley with the finish. Castlefin were now well on top and took the lead on 82 minutes when Malley completed his hat-trick when he connected well with a cross from the right. They completed the scoring on 87 minutes when Ronan Tourish broke through the middle to finish well from 10 yards.Best for Dunkineely were Declan Murrin and Adrian Ward while Ronan Tourish and JP Malley were best for Castlefin.Before the game a minutes silence was observed in memory of Conor Boyle who passed away in England during the week. Conor was a grand nephew of Dunkineely Celtic Chairman Gerry Rodgers.Lagan Harps 4 Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. 2Lagan got their league season off to a good start with a win over a strong Kerrykeel side. Kerrykeel took the lead on 8 minutes when Mark Friel fired home after Tony Blake could only parry away Paddy Mc Grenaghan’s shot. Lagan equalised on ten minutes when Drew Connolly crossed and Eunan Diver headed home. Lagan were then dealt a blow when Eunan Diver went off injured. Lagan kept their composure and took the lead on twenty five minutes when Ross Hamlyn’s cross was driven home by Bryan Kelly. Kerrykeel pushed hard for an equaliser at the start of the second half but Lagan extended their lead on fifty five minutes. Shane Kelly sent over a cross and Jay Dee Olawiye finished superbly from the edge of the area. Kerrykeel continued to dominate possession but some wasteful finishing and dogged defending by the Lagan back four kept them at bay. Lagan got the decisive goal on eighty minutes when Drew Connolly pulled the ball back to James Gillen who hit a stunning shot in off the post. Kerrykeel kept up the pressure and grabbed a second in injury time when Mark Friel’s cross was driven home at the back post by Jonathan Friel. For Lagan it was a great win after some poor results, with the young side showing great character. Best for Lagan were Ciaran Diver, Paul Rodgers and Jay Dee Olawiye. For Kerrykeel Mark Friel, Paddy Mc Grenaghan and Patrick Mc Conigley were best. Referee: Joe Mc Hugh.CT Ball Division TwoDeele Harps 0 Copany Rovers 0Deele Harps and Copany Rovers, two teams who showed well during the Brian Mc Cormick Cup Group stages, played out a scoreless draw at the Athletic Grounds in Lifford on Sunday. Back in Sunday football after an absence of a few seasons, the home side were unable to breach the Copany defence. Copany will be hard to beat this season and an opening day point isn’t the worst of returns from a venue where many fancied teams have fallen through the years.Ballybofey United 2 Letterbarrow Celtic 4An Eoin Mc Hugh hat-trick secured all three points for Letterbarrow Celtic when they visited Ballybofey United on Sunday. Letterbarrow took the lead through Mc Hugh before the home side equalised through Noel Quinn. Two more from Mc Hugh gave the visitors a healthy half time advantage. Ballybofey United’s experienced John Gregg was unlucky to see his wayward clearance from thirty yards end up in his own net. Gregg then completed the scoring when he registered at the other end reducing the deficit to two. Despite having numerous chances Ballybofey couldn’t get back into the game. Man of the Match: Eoin Mc Hugh. Referee: Paul DohertyDunlewy Celtic 3 Raphoe Town 1On a wonderful day in Dunlewey it was the Raphoe men who started the brightest. They went in front when Ryan Mc Cullagh broke through the home defence to knock past Cathal Gillespie in the Dunlewey goals. The home side settled and came close through John Cannon but it took until the stroke of half time for the home side to get on level terms when Liam McMullen rose highest to head home a Christy Cannon cross. Kieran Mc Geady gave the home side the lead shortly after coming on as a substitute. The home side continued to pressure the visitors and got their third when Liam McMullen once again rose highest to head home a Daniel Cannon cross. The Raphoe men never gave up and were unlucky not to get one back through Lee Smith but Cathal Gillespie saved well. Best for Dunlewey Kieran Mc Geady, Liam McMullen and Daniel Cannon.Team performance from RaphoeConvoy Arsenal 1 Whitestrand United 2Convoy started brightly, kept hold of possession well and created a few half chances in the first 50 minutes. Whitestrand started to come into the game after this and forced a number of free kicks and corners. The deadlock was broken in the 65th minute after a through ball sent Calvin Mc Gowan clear and he stroked it past Lee Boyd in the Convoy goal. It took Whitestrand only four minutes to double their lead. It was a carbon copy move with Jerome Burke putting the finishing touch to it this time. Convoy settled down again after this. Their determination reaped rewards in the 81st minute when Michael Melaugh curled in a goal from the edge of the box. The Whitestrand keeper made a great save from Keelan Gillan near the end to help his team hold out for the win. Best for Convoy: Jonny Kees, best for Whitestrand: Jerome Burke. Referee: Michael MulhernDrumbar F.C. 0 Glenree United 1This was a closely fought contest between Drumbar and Glenree United. Both sides took time to get going but Drumbar dominated most of the first half exchanges and looked the most likely to score. The second half started similarly however on 75minutes Glenree’s number 9 rose highest for a free kick to nod past the Drumbar keeper. After this Glenree dominated the last ten minutes and held out for three well earned points.Best for Drumbar were: Shane Browne, Mark Butler and Owen Harron. Glenree were strong from one to eleven.SATURDAYOld Orchard Saturday Division OneSt. Catherines Reserves 2 Glenea United Reserves 1St. Catherines played host to Glenea in a tight encounter in Emerald Park. Glenea started the brighter and on twenty five minutes scored through Eddie Muldowney after a goal mouth scramble. Both teams had chances in the first half but Glenea went in at half time leading by one goal to nil. St. Catherines got on the scoresheet on fifty eight minutes when Brian Smith converted a penalty after Paul Mc Fadden was pulled down in the box. On sixty five minutes the Saints scored again when an Eamonn Bonner shot cannoned of a Glenea defender and found its way to the net. Glenea pushed hard for the equaliser but couldn’t break down a stubborn Saints defence. Good team performance from Glenea while best for St Catherines was Evan Broderick.Castlefin Celtic Reserves 3 Orchard F.C. 1Park View provided the stage for this keenly contested match on Saturday afternoon. Orchard started well and TJ Duffy had to clear from the Castlefin goal line in the opening minutes. The home side took the lead on twelve minutes when Brian Dooher did well to convert Marcus Curran’s cross. Castlefin retained this lead until the interval. After the restart James Mc Menamin doubled their advantage when he drilled home from close range. This goal came after the home side had been denied on three occasions by Orchard netminder Thomas Mc Laughlin who was having a fine game. Orchard pulled a goal back on eighty six minutes when Niall Bonner scored. Paddy Dooher completed the scoring just before the full time whistle sounded. Best for Castlefin: TJ Duffy. Best for Orchard: Thomas Mc Laughlin. Referee: Seamus Mc Groary.Glencar Celtic 2 Mulroy Celtic 0Glencar started brightest at the Flag Pole Field. Pajo Rafferty went close to opening the scoring on two occasions. Joe Baker then rattled the Mulroy crossbar. Glencar’s hard work eventually paid off early in the second half when Paddy Collins crossed for Joe Baker to rise highest and head home. Baker then added his and Glencar’s second as the match entered it’s closing stages. Best for Glencar: Garvan Grieve and Mark Graham. Good team effort from Mulroy.Erne Wanderers 0 Fintown Harps AFC 1Last season’s Downtown Cup finalists renewed acquaintances at the Lakeside Centre on Saturday. The opening exchanges produced little by way of clear cut chances. Stephen Curneen thought he had given Erne the lead when he clinically finished a move involving Mark Dorrian and Diarmuid Spratt. His celebrations were short lived however as the referee had already blown for a penalty in the build up to the goal. Dermott Slevin took the spot kick but sent the ball the wrong side of the post. Then to compound the home side’s misery Aaron Thompson put the visitors ahead when he intercepted Jamie Cassidy’s back-pass to Karl O’ Brien. Despite enjoying the lion’s share of possession for the remainder of the match Erne couldn’t find an equaliser. As it turned out the home side fell to their first home reversal in two seasons. Best for Wanderers: Spratt and Travers. Best for Harps: Eugene Molloy. Referee: Andrew Mc MullinGlencar Inn Saturday Division TwoGlenree United Reserves 0 Arranmore United 1On a perfect afternoon for a match it was the home side who started stronger. In the tenth minute Robert Moore watched his well hit shot come back off the post. Karl Mc Elhinney then stung the palms of the away keeper who did well to save. Arranmore then had a few shots from outside the penalty area that didn’t trouble the home keeper. It remained scoreless until the interval. In the 70th minute Damien Nelis brought a great save from the Arranmore keeper. With time running out Thomas O’ Reilly lobbed the ball to Denis Gallagher who toe poked past the Glenree keeper. The goal was enough to give the visitors the three points from a sporting encounter which saw both teams perform well. Referee: Gerry RoddenMilford United Reserves 1 Donegal Town Reserves 3Donegal Town went away with the three points from this match at Moyle View. Neither side created many opportunities but on the half hour mark Donegal got their first. A free kick from the edge of the box afforded Donegal a free header and David Bustard tapped in the rebound. Milford went further behind in the sixtieth minute when they were caught in possession and David Harran raced clear to slot home. Milford pushed hard and got a scrappy consolation goal through Christy Mc Cafferty. Ciarán Reilly rounded off the scoring from the penalty spot after David Harran was caught late.Gweedore United Reserves 7 Curragh Athletic Reserves 2Gweedore United F.C. continued their great start to the new season in this match against the Killygordon outfit at Carrickboyle. The game started brightly with both sides creating chances in the opening quarter of the game. It was Curragh who went into the lead in the 18th minute when a good cross from Martin Mc Laughlin was well finished by Gary Heeney. Gweedore were back on level terms three minutes later when Sean Paul Mc Mahon made a good run and finished well past Thomas Mc Bride. Two minutes later the home side went in front when Mc Mahon’s well hit free kick was headed into the net by Stephen O’ Donnell. Gweedore began to dominate the play and on 30 minutes made it 3-1 with Sean Paul Mc Mahon again on the mark following good play by Noel Diver and Brian Gallagher. In the 36th minute O’ Donnell got his second and United’s 4th when he again headed into the net from close range following a good cross from Mc Mahon. In the 43rd minute Mc Mahon completed his hat-trick to make it 5-1 at half time. In the second half Curragh tried to pull one back with good efforts from Justin Mc Bride and Gary Heeney however the home defence and keeper stood firm. In the 61st minute Hugh Martin Curran made it 6-1 when he hit a good free kick from 35 yards into the bottom corner leaving Mc Bride in the Curragh nets with no chance. Curragh who continued to look for their 2nd got a goal in the 77th minute when Johnny Mc Bride’s corner was well converted. Joe Coyle got a 7th for United in the 86th minute following a good cross from Stephen O’ Donnell. It was an excellent team performance from United with Gary Heeney excelling for Curragh on the day.Referee: Barry Hunter.Cranford United Reserves 1 Tullyvinney Rovers 1Tullyvinney started well putting a lot of pressure on the Cranford defence and this paid off when Daithi Gardiner latched onto a through ball and finished well giving Tullyvinney the lead. The second half saw Cranford push hard for an equaliser. Dale Mc Fadden cut in from the left wing, leaving two players for dead, and slotted the ball into the corner from twenty yards to make in one each. With time running out both teams pushed for a winner but neither could find the net. A good team effort from Cranford with Daithi Gardiner best for Tullyvinney.DONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUEFIXTURES  SATURDAY  28-09-2013                  K.O. 2 p.m. (Unless Stated)Old Orchard Saturday Division OneCastlefin Celtic Reserves                    v                      Glenea United ReservesFintown Harps AFC                          v                      St. Catherines ReservesMulroy Celtic                                     v                      Erne WanderersOrchard F.C.                                       v                      Ramelton MarinersGlencar Inn Saturday Division TwoArranmore United                               v                      Gweedore United Reserves  (K.O. 1 p.m.)Donegal Town Reserves                     v                      Strand RoversTullyvinney Rovers                            v                      Milford United ReservesCurragh Athletic Reserves                  v                      Cranford United ReservesKeadue Rovers Reserves                    v                      Glenree United ReservesSUNDAY 29-09 2013                        K.O. 2 p.m. (Unless Stated)Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division Glenea United                                     v                      Cranford UnitedRathmullan Celtic                               v                      Lifford CelticGweedore Celtic                                 v                      Curragh AthleticKilmacrennan Celtic                            v                      Donegal TownSt. Catherines                                      v                      Milford UnitedWatson Hire Division OneGweedore United                                v                      Bonagee UnitedKerrykeel ’71 F.C.                              v                      Keadue RoversCastlefin Celtic                                   v                      Lagan HarpsDrumoghill F.C.                                  v                      Dunkineely CelticCT Ball Division TwoCopany Rovers                                   v                      Ballybofey UnitedGlenree United                                    v                      Deele HarpsWhitestrand United                            v                      Drumbar F.C.Raphoe Town                                     v                      Convoy ArsenalSOCCER: DONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUE MATCH REPORTS AND FIXTURES was last modified: September 22nd, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Donegal Junior LeagueMatch ReportsResultslast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *