Governor General Meets with Immigrant Women

athhqxkjr

first_imgThey shared their triumphs, challenges, and personal experiences of leaving their birthplaces and building new lives in Nova Scotia. Twenty-eight women, who arrived in Nova Scotia within the last 10 years as immigrants, gathered at Pier 21 this morning, Feb. 12, to share their stories as part of a discussion group with Governor General Michaëlle Jean and Immigration Minister Carolyn Bolivar-Getson, host of the event. “These women have made Nova Scotia their home and become part of our province,” said Ms. Bolivar-Getson. “They have so much to tell us about the issues that immigrant women face. Their experiences will help us to shape our policies and programs so that immigrants who follow will find an even more welcoming province.” Studies indicate that immigrants who have arrived in Canada within the last decade, have had more difficultly successfully settling in the country, and that women, generally, have a harder time integrating into new communities. “It was wonderful being able to meet Her Excellency, this most accomplished and honourable woman, herself an immigrant,” said Peggy Bosdet, who in 2002, together with husband Charles, were the first immigrants from the Nova Scotia Nominee Program. “Having an opportunity to tell her what my family’s experiences of settling here were, and of the community support we received, is something I’ll never forget.” This morning’s discussion was the third roundtable held by the province with immigrant women. The first was held in 2004 and the second in 2006. The women, from across the province, represented a variety of sectors, professions and countries. The Nova Scotia Nominee Program, established in 2002, is designed to attract newcomers who can contribute economically to the province. It was the first official event of the Governor General’s three-day visit to Nova Scotia.last_img read more

Mahinda Rajapaksa wants more army security

eksxhitmg

Rajapaksa’s office said that at present only 102 Army personnel have been assigned to provide security to the former President and of this number, 80 provide security while 22 are administrative personnel. “The Government has started releasing dangerous LTTE suspects who had been held in detention under the PTA. The Rajapaksa government rehabilitated and released over 11,000 LTTE cadres and only two to three hundred hard core terrorists were kept in detention with a view to taking legal action against them. These are the terrorists who are now being released. It need not be stressed that this has placed the life of President Rajapaksa in danger. In these circumstances, it is the duty of the Government to strengthen the security arrangements for former President Rajapaksa by assigning more personnel for his security,” Rajapaksa’s office added. His office said that with the release of the most dangerous LTTE terrorists held in detention, the Government is duty bound to take suitable steps not only to protect former President Rajapaksa but also the other armed forces and civil officers who provided leadership to the war. (Colombo Gazette) Former President Mahinda Rajapaksa has sought more security and also denied reports that 500 army personnel had been assigned to him.Rajapaksa’s office said that media reports that 500 army personnel who had been assigned to the security contingent of former President Mahinda Rajapaksa had been withdrawn, are not true. read more