…decries “paltry” $500 to pensioners…Union suggestions ignoredThe Federation of Independent Trade Unions of Guyana (FITUG) is not that optimistic about the livelihoods of workers and is accusing Government of ignoring its proposals for the 2018 National Budget presented last week. At the same time, the Union body on Saturday condemned much of the outlined measures for the new fiscal year, expressing much vexation for the “paltry” $500 per month increase that is being given to old age pensioners across the land. FITUG said the Budget “failed to live up to the high expectations of the working-people” who looked forward to measures that would have lessened their burdens.According to the Union, such expectations, undoubtedly, were heightened by the “cheery, colourful billboards and the many advertisements that have appeared in the electronic media to promote the Budget.”The combined Union body added that while its suggestions were largely ignored, it will remain resolute in advocating for the rights of workers with the aim of improving their well-being and standard of living.“We are not daunted and we will continue to promote our suggestions recognising their importance in improving workers’ well-being and their standard of living. We must share too our vexation that a paltry $500 per month or $16 per day increase was given to the old aged pensioners who clearly deserve a much more realistic increase, especially in these times,” the Union observed.FITUG is hopeful that Government will re-examine the $500 increase. The Union meanwhile commended the Administration’s decision to remove Value Added Tax (VAT) on private education and to grant tax-free status to leave passage allowances for employees in the Private Sector.FITUG vented further of the Administration’s decision to not increase the Income Tax threshold, something to which it said workers were eagerly looking forward. The Union feels the 2018 Budget did not advance any serious policy regarding job preservation and job creation, in addition to the absence of a clear policy to assist the implementation of the Public Sector Investment Programme (PSIP).FITUG also decried the treatment of thousands of workers who stand to be affected by the reduction of the sugar industry, seeing the moves as “ill-considered”. Commenting on the oil and gas industry, the Federation says it is concerned that there is an absence of definitive statements on the Sovereign Wealth Fund (SWF). Additionally, FITUG highlighted the stance taken to abandon the Amalia Falls project despite compelling arguments for it to be pursued.FITUG surmised that workers were in a different boat from “The Journey to the Good Life continues” tag announced by the Finance Minister.On Monday last, Government tabled in the National Assembly a budget to the tune of $267.1 billion where several measures to support its green agenda and improve various key economic sectors were announced. However, Finance Minister Winston Jordan noted that the initial projected growth of the economy was 3.8 per cent, which was revised by midyear to 3.1 per cent after the economy only grew by 2.2 per cent in July of this year. The budget debates begin tomorrow.
Deon Meredith of Alberttown, Georgetown appeared on Friday before Georgetown Magistrate Leron Daly to answer a charge alleging that on May 27, 2018, while in the vicinity of Fourth Street, Alberttown Georgetown, he assaulted Dorrel Gill with intent to cause him actual bodily harm.Meredith denied the charge after it was read to him by the magistrate, and Police Prosecutor Sanj Singh had no objection to Meredith being placed on bail.Meredith was accordingly placed on bail in the sum of $30,000, and the case will continue on June 18.
As regional players gather for the 39th Heads of Government of the Caribbean Community (Caricom) Conference commencing Wednesday in Montego Bay, Jamaica, tackling crime is expected to be the topic of interest.Jamaican Prime Minister Andrew HolnessForeign Affairs Minister Carl Greenidge, in a recent interview told Guyana Times, that the Caricom Arrest Warrant Treaty would come up for discussion, among other issues that Caricom leaders have been “ironing out”.The Treaty was signed by Member States at the 38th Regular Meeting of Heads of State in July 2017 in Grenada. However, up to May of this year, Guyana was only one of three signatories to ratify the Caricom Arrest Warrant Treaty. It is expected that more countries will operationalise the regional agreement, which will impact upon how Member States send and receive persons accused of committing crimes in their countries.The 39th Regular Meeting will be held at the Montego Bay Convention Centre July 4-6 under the watch of Jamaican Prime Minister Andrew Holness, who is currently serving as Caricom Chairman. Guyana’s Foreign Affairs Minister also revealed that the meeting will also be graced with the presence of Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel and Chilean President Sebastián Piñera.When Guyana ratified the Treaty earlier this year, Minister of State, Joseph Harmon had explained that the objective of the Treaty was to establish within the Caribbean Community a system of arrest and surrender of requested persons in the pursuit of criminal prosecutions. He noted that it would be applicable for offences or executing custodial sentences where persons have fled from justice after being convicted or sentenced in another jurisdiction.The Treaty required three signatures to bring it into force and Barbados and The Bahamas were the other two signatories. The Caricom Arrest Warrant Treaty simplifies the procedure of returning fugitives to the country where charges have been laid. In addition, it also removes the complexity, costs and potential for delay in the extradition procedures between and among some Member States, creating a more efficient system.In recent times, two high-profile cases involving Guyana and the United States showed the need for clear guidelines regarding the extradition of suspected criminals. The first is the infamous case of US businessman and philanthropist Marcus Bisram, who is fighting extradition to answer to a charge of murdering a Berbice carpenter in November 2016 who allegedly rebuffed his sexual advances. There is also the case of Troy Thomas, who fled here after being wanted in connection with a Richmond Hill, Queens, New York murder that occurred in December 2011.As Caricom countries continue to implement measures to address such matters, both Bisram and Thomas remain incarcerated as they continue to fight extradition on two sides of the Atlantic. (Shemuel Fanfair)
According to Chinese officials it is being activated now, because “past experience shows that terrorist attacks may occur before the games”. Overeseas, it is Northern BC day at the Canada Pavilion in Beijing, which is providing access to key decision makers in China, for industry and political leaders across this province.Its all part of a five month showcase around the summer Olympics and, Team Northern BC is there this week.Fort St. John Mayor Jim Eglinski and City Manager Diane Hunter are part, of the 30 delegate group led, by Initiatives Prince George.- Advertisement -They’re hoping to establish relationships to further transportation, trade, investment, tourism, culture and education opportunities, between China and Northern BC. Meantime, China has mobilized a 100,000 member anti-terrorism force, to guard the Beijing Olympics in August. It is comprised of police commandos, specialist units and regular army troops. Advertisement
– Advertisement -**Update – The RCMP have just released more information about this accident. The ATV pictured above, will be inspected to ensure there was no mechanical defect or malfunction, which could have contributed to the crash. The crash happened at 4:13pm on Saturday July 3. Both of the people riding the ATV are still in hospital. The 17 year-old male is in critical condition with head trauma, fractured pelvis and internal bleeding. He was flown out to Edmonton for further medical treatment and he remains in critical condition.The 17 year-old female is in serious condition with a badly fractured arm, fractured pelvis and some internal bleeding. She has also been medivaced from Fort Nelson for further medical treatment.The RCMP are looking to speak to witnesses or anyone who may have information about the two teens. Contact the RCMP at 250-774-3883. Two people have serious injuries after an ATV accident in Fort Nelson.Advertisement Photo: The Fort Nelson RCMP provided this photo of the accident. FortNelsonStuff.com is reporting that two young people driving an ATV collied with a work truck Saturday evening. The ATV was headed east bound on the frontage road in front of the Woodlands Inn when it collided with the truck.Both passengers of the ATV have been flown to a larger medical facility. The female on the back of the ATV is being treated for serious but non-life threatening injuries and the male is being treated for life threatening injuries.The RCMP have confirmed both aggressive driving and alcohol were involved in the incident and that the two people on the ATV were not wearing helmets.The Fort Nelson RCMP are still investigating the incident. Advertisement
0Shares0000Juventus’s forward Mario Mandzukic scores during the Italian Serie A football match against Fiorentina on September 20, 2017 at Allianz stadium © AFP / ALBERTO PIZZOLIMILAN, Italy, Sep 21 – Champions Juventus and Napoli pulled clear at the summit of Serie A as they continued their faultless campaigns on Wednesday as Inter Milan fell behind.Croatia forward Mario Mandzukic scored for Juventus in a 1-0 win over old foes Fiorentina in Turin as Napoli rallied from a goal down to beat Lazio 4-1 in Rome. Juventus and Napoli have a maximum 15 points after five games, two ahead of Inter Milan who were held 1-1 at Bologna on Tuesday.Stefan de Vrij had given Lazio a half-time lead over Napoli, but the hosts hit back in the second half with three goals in a four-minute spree including a stunning Dries Mertens strike.After a tense first half Mandzukic found the opening for Juventus with a diving header after 53 minutes off a Juan Cuadrado cross.Fiorentina were reduced to ten men for the final half an hour after midfielder Milan Badelj saw red.“These games teach that to win you have to suffer, 1-0 is a good result,” said Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri ahead of this weekend’s Turin derby.“Napoli, like Inter, Milan and Rome are our rivals. We have to advance calmly, step by step. The derby will be a nice match, we will have a few days to recover.”Napoli routed Lazio in the second half despite Simone Inzaghi’s side having gotten off to a flying start with defender De Vrij opening the scoring after 29 minutes.Juventus’s forward Gonzalo Higuain (C) fights for the ball with Fiorentina’s defender Vice Laurini (R) during the Italian Serie A football match September 20, 2017 © AFP / ALBERTO PIZZOLIBut injuries to defenders Bastos and then De Vrij turned the tide in favour of Napoli with three goals in the space of a frenetic four minutes.Senegal’s Kalidou Koulibaly got the equaliser after 54 minutes and then Jose Callejon added another two minutes later followed by a superb Mertens effort, before Jorginho added a fourth from the spot as the clock ticked.Skipper Mauro Icardi rescued a 1-1 draw for Inter Milan at Bologna on Tuesday that ended his side’s perfect start to the season.Amid an avalanche of 28 goals, all the Champions League candidates were on form, expect Lazio who sitting are sixth.– ‘Spirit’ –AC Milan are fourth after beating promoted SPAL 2-0 thanks to two penalties as Torino struggled to a 3-2 win over Udinese and are fifth.AS Roma outclassed promoted Benevento 4-0 as Eusebio Di Francesco’s side followed on from last weekend’s 3-0 win over Verona to move seventh.Edin Dzeko hit a brace in either half and provoked own goals by Fabio Lucioni (35) and Lorenzo Venuti (74) at the Stadio Vigorito.Napoli’s forward Dries Mertens (hidden) is celebrated by teammates after scoring during the Italian Serie A football match against Lazio September 20, 2017 © AFP / FILIPPO MONTEFORTEThe Bosnian hit-man had no problem infiltrating a weak Benevento defence which leaked six goals last weekend against Napoli, scoring from the right at 22 minutes and left at 52.“Dzeko did well, he could have scored more. I loved his spirit of sacrifice,” Di Francesco added.“This team was meant to be challenging for the Scudetto at the start, then after two games people said we’d be fighting for fourth or fifth, so really it’s just meaningless chatter,” he said of title talk.Crotone and Benevento are already relegation candidates with a point between them as they sit rock bottom.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
1 Yaya Toure’s agent has claimed there is strong interest in the midfielder from “two of the biggest clubs”, amid rumours he could be set to leave Manchester City this summer.The Ivory Coast star has appeared to open the door for a Blues exit, with the likes of Paris Saint-Germain and Inter Milan – managed by his former City boss Roberto Mancini – mentioned as possible destinations.Toure was quoted on Tuesday as saying he is open to ”new challenges” and that he will not stay at a club simply to collect wages, and Mancini is reportedly keen to lure his former talisman to Italy.Those comments came two days after his agent Dimitri Seluk was quoted as saying “two of the biggest clubs” had asked him about Toure’s availability, adding: “If City want Yaya to leave, they should come out and say so.”And, quoted by Sky Sports News on Wednesday, Seluk said: “We have had different offers for Yaya but we must speak to Manchester City.“People think he will stay because of money but we don’t care about money. If Man City don’t want him – no problem.“I want someone to say that they want Yaya to stay at Manchester City. Yaya is a legend at the club. All the supporters like him, he’s helped them make history.” Manchester City and Ivory Coast star Yaya Toure
Here’s the top transfer-related stories in Friday’s newspapers…Barcelona plan to make a £50million-plus raid for Arsenal star Aaron Ramsey in the summer — despite their transfer embargo. (The Sun)Louis van Gaal is ready to exploit Bastian Schweinsteiger’s contract stand-off with Bayern Munich by offering the World Cup winner a summer opportunity to move to Manchester United. (Daily Telegraph)Inter Milan believe that they are closing in on a deal for Yaya Touré, although Manchester City have yet to receive an offer for the midfielder. (The Times)Juventus are considering a bid for Tottenham’s £25million forward Erik Lamela. (Daily Mail)Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is willing to listen to offers for Lucas Leiva – a move which will create space for James Milner. (Daily Mirror)Steve McClaren will be dismissed by Derby County after talks on Thursday night and is expected to be replaced by Real Madrid coach Paul Clement. (Daily Telegraph)Stoke City have taken up the option to buy Philipp Wollscheid from Bayer Leverkusen. (Daily Express)Slaven Bilic will leave Besiktas at the end of the season, increasing speculation that he may replace Sam Allardyce as West Ham United manager. (The Guardian)And here are the latest talkSPORT.com transfer tales…Hull striker Yannick Sagbo set to quit KC StadiumBoost for Manchester United as Juventus real they can’t afford Edinson CavaniReports: Yaya Toure to tell Man City he’s leaving after final game of the seasonInter Milan set sights on Man United striker Javier HernandezDoor opens for Manchester United to swoop for Ilkay GundoganMan United told Valencia star Nicolas Otamendi will cost them £36mBarcelona to rival Manchester City and PSG for Paul Pogba’s signature
Gabriel Barbosa in action for Santos Chelsea are closing in on a deal to sign Brazilian teen ace Gabriel Barbosa from Santos. Known as ‘Gabigol’ and dubbed ‘the new Neymar’, the 19-year-old is understood to be the subject of a £25m bid from Chelsea and negotiations between the two clubs are apparently at an advanced stage. According to Globo Esparto, Juventus are also plotting a swoop for Gabigol but Chelsea have trumped the Italian club’s £15m bid. Chelsea scouts have kept a close eye on the striker’s progress in recent months and have now told new manager Antonio Conte to make his move. Gabigol has been at Santos for three years and has already made 151 appearances, scoring 55 goals, for the Brazilian giants. 1